New Deal Post Office Mural
Air Mail by Daniel Rhodes
About the Mural
- Oil on Canvas mural painted by Daniel Rhodes (1911 – 1989).
- Commissioned by the U.S. Treasury Department’s Section of Painting and Sculpture in 1937 for $700.00.
- Installed in the Piggott Post Office lobby, above the Post Master’s Door in February 1941.
- The Piggott Post Office Mural is one of 20 murals commissioned for the State of Arkansas.
- Recently restored, the Piggot Post Office mural was one of five murals selected for the Post Office Murals USPS Forever Stamps issued 4/10/2019.
- The Piggott Post Office Mural is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as part of multiple property listing, Arkansas Post Offices with Section Art. This listing includes 11 of Arkansas’ 20 murals.
- The Piggott Post Office, c. 1937, is also listed on the National Register.
Where to find the Mural
The Piggot Post Office Mural is still installed at the Piggott Post Office in the lobby above the Post Master’s door. The Piggott Post Office is located at 116 North Third Ave, Piggott, AR.
An easy drive (about 2 hours, 15 minutes) from HSB, Piggott sits in the very NE corner of Arkansas’ Upper Delta region along Crowley’s Ridge Parkway. Piggott’s main attraction is the Hemingway-Pfeiffer Museum; their downtown is on the National Register.